Scrap Iron And Steel
Ace has been in the business of recycling in the Black Hills for over twenty-five years! We'll pay for your iron scrap, so you'll benefit in three ways; you'll clean up your property, put some cash in your pocket, and have the satisfaction of knowing you've done the right thing by recycling!
Ferrous metals are able to be recycled with steel being one of the most recycled materials in the world. Ferrous metals contain an appreciable percentage of iron and the addition of carbon and other substances creates steel.
The steel industry has been actively recycling for more than 150 years, because it's less expensive to recycle steel than to mine iron ore and process it to form new steel. Steel doesn't lose any of its inherent properties during the recycling process, and has drastically reduced energy and material requirements compared with refinement from iron ore. The energy saved by recycling reduces the annual energy consumption of the industry by about 75%, which is enough to power eighteen million homes for one year.
Common Types Of Scrap Used In Recycling
- Heavy melting steel. Industrial or commercial scrap steel greater than 1/8" thick, such as plates, beams, columns, channels; may also include scrap machinery or implements or certain metal stampings.
- Old car bodies. Vehicles with or without interiors and their original wheels.
- Cast iron. Cast iron baths, machinery, pipe and engine blocks.
- Light Gauge or Tin. Domestic scrap metal up to approx. 1/8" thick. Examples - White goods (stoves, washing machines, dryers etc.), roofing iron, water heaters, water tanks and sheet metal offcuts.
- Re-inforcing bars or mesh. Used in the construction industry within concrete.
- Rails. Rail or tram tracks.
Give us a call to find out if we can accept your iron. Be part of the solution, with Ace Steel & Recycling!